Monday, October 30, 2006

Hey Everyone,

You may have seen this already but it’s a great mini documentary commenting on the fact the fashion industry produces mass cultural bullshit and ridiculous feminine ideals. Take a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz5IRdFIpvA

Kelly Mac.


(P.S Heather this is not my post)


2 comments:

A lady said...

****This is not my real response of the week********

Actually - At the beginning of it's "campaign for real beauty" there was a big uproar Dove has/had? (maybe they cleared it up) many contradictions in it's "campaign for real beauty".

It is in a back-issue of "BITCH" magazine - i can't find it right now, however they noted that albiet it has those nice commercials with women of all colors, sizes, and shapes, the company still advertised its' shampoo and soaps just like other products, 'distorting' our ideals of beauty. I'll try to find it and bring it in. (Ah, I wish I could find it right now)

Also, I have a problem where I read so much I forget I have already read a book or like above BITCH magazine, but you might like to check out "the revolution will be accessorized" edited by "Aaron Hicklin" (I'm still trying to work out a way, in my head, it fits into the class) THey've got a good dialogue piece between Naomi Klein & Douglas Coupland.

Kelly Mac said...

Hey,

I agree that the Dove campaign had some serious issues concerning the validity and sincerity of "true beauty" and I do agree, somewhat, with these arguements; regardless, I still think this mini-film is interesting as it showed the beginning and end product(after computer enhancements) even if it was produced by Dove.

KM