Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Warning: May Cause Insanity

Hello all...

Remember when Heather discussed the possibility of "snapping," due to Post-Modern theory overload, and the possibility of her forgetting to "wear pants" on the bus!! Well... I found a similar example of theory induced craziness. A true testimony to why theory has the potential to make everyone, even respected academics, go insane! I found this little tid bit of information on our friend Louis Althusser on Wikipedia...read on (funny yet very distrubing)!

" On November 16, 1980, Althusser strangled his wife to death. This had been preceded by a period of intense mental instability. The exact circumstances are debated, with some claiming it was deliberate, others accidental. Althusser himself claimed not to have a clear memory of the event. Since he was alone with his wife when she died, it is difficult to come to firm conclusions. Althusser was diagnosed as suffering from diminished responsibility, and he was not tried, but instead committed to the Sainte-Anne psychiatric hospital. Althusser remained in hospital until 1983. Upon release, he moved to Northern Paris and lived reclusively, seeing few people and no longer working, except for producing his autobiography. He died of a heart attack on October 22, 1990 at the age of 72."

Kelly Mac.
P.S Heather this is not my post for the week

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kelly,
That's hilarious...in an ironic haha sort of way.
Thanks for that, I needed the laugh.
Happy Wednesday.

Heather Tapley said...

I hate to say I told ya so, but...

Perhaps Louis should have stepped out an ISA or something...???